Wednesday, February 5, 2014

2014 Hall of Famer: Frank Thomas


Growing up in a small town about an hour south of Chicago, I grew up a Chicago White Sox fan.  The main reason I was a Sox fan was because it was generational, my grandpa was a Sox fan, my dad is a Sox fan so low and behold I am a White Sox fan.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  Being born in 1988, I was watching baseball during the Frank Thomas, Jack McDowell, Wilson Alvarez, and Roberto Hernandez era and it enticed me even more into watching, studying and now even writing about the game I love so much.  One player that was prevalent all the way throughout my childhood was #35 "The Big Hurt" Frank Thomas.  


No player exemplified to me what baseball was all about more than my favorite player Frank Thomas.  Every time he came up to bat there was the feeling that something great was going to happen and it seemed like 9 out of 10 times something exciting would happen when he stepped up to the plate.  There is no argument from me that Thomas changed the game of baseball in my young eyes and brought the excitement and love of the game of baseball into my heart.  Thomas always seemed to be having a great time playing the game he loved and I can't really remember a time where he did not have a smile on his face while on the diamond.  The countless number of games I attended at Comiskey Park as a young kid, Thomas was the reason I wanted to go.  I remember him always signing autographs for the young fans for after the other players had stopped signing.

Thomas to me was undoubtedly a first ballot hall of famer and I am so happy for him as he gets inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame on July 27 joining other White Sox greats, Luke Appling, Luis Aparicio and Nellie Fox.

Congratulations to Frank Thomas on his elections to the Baseball Hall of Fame.  He will always be my favorite White Sox player of all time.


No comments:

Post a Comment