Following his day off, here is Chris' take on the latest Hot Stove news
Quote of the Day:
"Negotiations are progressing. That's all I can really say about it."
-- R.A. Dickey on his ongoing contract situation with the Mets
Raise your hand if you're excited for Winter Meetings more than Christmas. It's Wednesday baseball freaks and after a busy day yesterday where I wasn't able to compose a Hot Stove, I'm back today for a quick Hot Stove Update for November 28th. On the menu today is a bunch of rumors on big name free agents left on the board in a new weekly segment, some almost-signings that will probably wind up in tomorrow's hot stove and a sad update from a guy that was instrumental to free agency, baseball and the main reason we're still talking baseball in late fall.
- First off, we would like to send our condolences to the family of Marvin Miller who passed away yesterday morning at the age of 95. Miller served as the first Executive Director of the MLB Players Association. Respected by players, feared by the owners, Miller was a key figure in forming player arbitration and was an instrumental piece in the decision that overturned baseball's reserve clause in a decision that ultimately led to free agency. While I personally was not around when Miller was doing his work, let's just say that there wouldn't be a hot stove without Miller. We wish his family well. RIP.
- The Yankees have made it official and signed LH Andy Pettite to a one-year, $12 million contract. Pettite pitched well last season and into the postseason, which is surprising considering that he's 40. Who else pitched well at 40 for the Yankees? I'm not gonna go there.
- Ryan Madson is off the market as the free agent reliever agreed to a one-year contract with the Angels. Madson missed all of 2012 recovering from Tommy Jon surgery but was dominant with the Phillies the year before. If Madson can get his velocity back, post-surgery, expect him to either be the Angels closer or set-up man depending on how the team feels about RP Ernesto Frieri who basically struck everybody out in a closer/setup role last season.
- Rangers have acquired RP Cory Burns from San Diego for a player to be named later. Burns appeared in 17 games after debuting last season with the Padres. Bullpen depth is always good so, yay Texas, I guess.
- Pirates have acquired RH Vin Mazzaro and 1B Clint Robinson for two minor league pitchers from the Royals. Both were fringe major-leaguers so don't expect much from them in Pittsburgh.
- Zach Stewart is changing uniforms yet again, as he goes from Boston to Pittsburgh for a player to be named later. Stewart has already played for the Reds, Toronto, the White Sox and is only 26. I suggest him and Edwin Jackson get together and chat about best practices for moving cities every six months and all that stuff.
- Jonathan Broxton decides to go ahead and sign with Cincinnati for a three-year, $21 million contract. The more interesting story is what the Reds will do with Aroldis Chapman and his 104 mph fastball. Rotation or closer?
- The Chicago Cubs get Scott Feldman on a one year deal. This could be a steal signing as Feldman has been reliable and comes at a bargain price. Dave Cameron of Fangraphs recently compared Feldman to Brandon McCarthy (minus the hilarious Twitter) while the Cubs shore up their rotation depth.
And now our weekly "Rapid-fire Rumor Report" -- a new weekly segment where we list ten of the rumors we hear and then compare them to actual signings the next week. Hope you enjoy this as much as I do. Here we go...
- Seattle, Yankees, and Pittsburgh interested in C Russell Martin.
- Mariano Rivera to complete deal with Yankees?
- Braves or Yankees both have interest in BJ Upton?
- Upton and Atlanta interest mutual?
- Rockies interested in RHP Kevin Correia and P Jeff Francis
- Red Sox the front-runner for Mike Napoli?
- Braves talking to RP Chad Durbin
- Marlins will not trade Giancarlo Stanton
- Dodgers the leader for Zack Greinke?
- Dodgers also want Kyle Lohse
We will check back on these next Wednesday and see how these rumors turned out over the next week.
Thank you guys for tuning in, and since I was busy and didn't get to post a Hot Stove Update yesterday, I'll give you a Kate Upton. (This is as much for me as for you so don't get ahead of yourself)